Tuesday, March 13, 2007

PMF Finalists Announcement Delayed; PMF Job Fair Info

EDIT: Great comments. Thanks Sarah, Thomas, Saidheifer and Steve.

I was just contacted by a representative of the PMF office and was informed that the list of 2007 PMF finalists will be posted on or before March 20. Thanks for the update, Kye. See comments for details.

Here are some notes on the job fair for those who want to be prepared:

Remember, the PMF Finalist designation does not guarantee you a job; your best bet is to attend the PMF Job Fair on April 4-6, 2007 at The Washington Convention Center. As an added bonus, the cherry blossoms are estimated to bloom at that time. Be sure to check out the Job Fair Overview and Agenda. Also, don't forget to RSVP. You can click here to research PMF openings. The Presidential Management Alumni Group has a great website and this survival guide for the job fair.

A senior level member of our staff recommended that anyone who travels to D.C. should fly into National (Reagan National Airport, DCA). From there you can take the Metro (yellow line) straight to the convention center. For those of you who currently live in the D.C. area, please add your comments on places to stay and things to do.

8 comments:

  1. i'm in grad school and am waiting to hear about the pmf. how did you find out that the list of finalists will be posted on march 20th? are representatives from the pmf office calling potential finalists as a heads up or did you contact the pmf office first to find out? i was just curious how you were notified. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    I contacted the Program Analyst in the PMF office. I also sent a general email, here are the responses:

    From Kye (RE: when list will be posted):
    "On or before March 20 -- we're working as fast as we can!"

    From General Email:
    "We expect to have the Class of 2007 PMF Finalists List posted to the PMF web pages within the next two weeks of March. Email notifications are also scheduled to be sent out during that time to all participants regarding selection or non-selection as a finalist (tentative notification date – March 20th); so please continue to check your email account at that time for a notice."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hah! I just came from the PMF website with that info and was going to share it with you. Just bought my plane ticket on fears we wouldn't have enough time to make plans.

    Good luck Sarah and Courtney.

    -Thomas

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank you for your comments! i also just received an email from our career director with the same information, so it sounds like 3/20 is the magic date!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there-

    I just wanted to add that the "special" rate for the hotel for finalists is on the high side. Although I don't yet know if I'll be a finalist (keeping fingers crossed...) I decided to book a flight and hotel anyway and purchase trip insurance so I can cancel in the event I don't make the cut. It seems the Omni is running a special and I booked my flight (nonstop both ways) and three nights at the Omni for under $700 on Orbitz. Just a heads up in case anyone is shopping for rates. Good luck all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too booked a flight and hotel, just in case. For those looking for ideas on hotels and flights:

    I book my hotel at Comfort Inn Convention Center. The rate, around $165 per night, was the cheapest I could find that is near the Convention Center. Not too fancy, but it will do. The best thing is that with Comfort Inn you can cancel up to the day before with no charge.

    As for flight, I went with Southest. I'm pretty sure that Southwest allows you to cancel and then use the credit on another flight. Again, handy if I am not a finalist and need to cancel.

    Hope this might help someone.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm planning on staying at the Renaissance near the Convention Center. Since I plan to stay until Saturday, I got the weekend rate for the weekdays too! $149/night and I can cancel up to 6pm day of, just in case. I haven't booked my place ticket since it seems fairly inexpensive and any fees to cancel or change would be about half the price of the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll happily share my travel plans too if I'm selected.

    ReplyDelete